It’s been a busy day of League Two action, and that is without mentioning the stuff we’ve been involved in. I’m not going to mention the two big bits of business by the Magpies and the Stags though.
- Newport County have been quick to try to bolster their squad after their great escape a few weeks ago. The most notable signing is winger Robbie Wilmott (pictured above), a talented wide player who finished last season at Chelmsford. They also brought in keeper Joe Day, and defenders David Pipe and Mark O’Brien. The final signing is well known to Imps fans, or at least those with an encyclopedic knowledge of our recent players. Striker Marlon Jackson has signed he played 6 games on-loan at Lincoln including a 4-1 defeat by FGR and the 5-0 FA Cup drubbing in Plymouth.
- Exeter City midfielder Matt Oakley has announced his retirement at the end of the season. He made over 250 appearances for Southampton before a £500,000 move to Leicester, but this season he’s been restricted to 23 outings for the Grecians.
- Tom Pope has signed for Port Vale, a return to the club where he enjoyed a prolific four seasons. He originally signed for them in 2011, but left in 2015 to join Bury. He is back to a heroes welcome, some good news for Valiants fans who have had a torrid time recently.
- Former Mansfield defender Lee Collins has wasted no time in finding himself another club. He’s signed for the kings of sustainability with the unsustainable budget, Forest Green. He played over 150 times for Port Vale before heading to Field Mill via Northampton, but he’s been deemed surplus to requirements by the big-spending Stags.
- Mansfield have signed Harry White from Peterborough after a loan spell. Whatever.
- Yeovil have announced their retained list which include forward Tom Eaves, midfielder Alex Lawless and veteran defender Darren Ward. Brandon Goodship, Ollie Bassett and Joe Lea will also depart Huish Park.
- Morecambe have also been retaining, offering deals to Barry Roche and former Imp Kevin Ellison. Their captain, Peter Murphy, has sadly been forced to retire through injury aged just 27.
- Cheltenham have announced the capture of Dover captain Jamie Grimes, mentioned elsewhere on the blog today.
- Hartlepool have understandably had a mass clear out following relegation, releasing no less than nine players. Veteran Billy Paynter is probably the most notable, with the rest of the list as follows: Jordan Richards, Rob Jones, Jake Orrell, Ben Dudzinski, James Martin, Ben Pollock and Connor Smith.
- Oh go on then, I’ll mention it. Notts County have made their first acquisition of the summer by signing up Terry Hawkridge. We obviously know all about Terry, who rejected a one-year deal to rejoin the club he played for as a young boy. It’s hard to begrudge him a move, he was in and out of the Imps side, and the lure of a good contract closer to home was too much to reject. I’d like to genuinely wish him all the best in 44 of their 46 games next season, and congratulate him on his move.