Whilst our season is still in full swing (just), for others the campaign is over and the new one is their sole focus. The transfer window has also opened early this season, part of yet another rule change.
It means there’s all sorts going on in our division and we thought it prudent to keep you up to date with proceedings, just in case we are in this league next season.
Starting at Cambridge United and goalkeeper Dimitar Mitov has signed a new three-year contract. He’s been understudy to David Forde for most of the season, but remains in Joe Dunne’s plans next time around. The 21-year-old Bulgarian joined the U’s from Charlton in June and played seven times in all competitions.
- Scottish side Heart of Midlothian have snapped up Luton Town midfielder Olly Lee. The 26-year-old has put pen to paper on a three-year-deal and will arrive at Tynecastle later this summer. Olly, the son of former Newcastle player Rob Lee, becomes Craig Levein’s fifth second League Two signing after Cambridge’s Uche Ikpeazu.
- Released Mansfield Town defender Rhys Bennett has been grabbed by former boss Steve Evans at Peterborough United. The 26-year-old, who played 97 times for the Stags, told Mansfield he wanted League One football and therefore wasn’t offered a new deal. He’s signed a two-year contract at London Road.
- Cheltenham have been quick to recruit as well, they’ve grabbed Luton Town defender Johnny Mullins. The 32-year-old was not offered a new deal by Nathan Jones, despite helping them to promotion to League One. “Signing Johnny is a real coup for us and a statement about our intentions. He is a leader and winner,” Gary Johnson told the club’s website. “He played a big role in Luton’s push for promotion.” He actually made 17 appearances, only two of which came after January.
- Luton have also released captain Scott Cuthbert as their ruthless cull continues. He made 93 league starts for the Hatters, but picked up an injury as they hammered Cambridge 7-0 in late autumn and struggled to break back into the side on his return.
- Nicky Adams has left Carlisle United but remained in League Two by re-joining former club Bury. The Shakers announced the capture of the winger last night, shortly after Adams had confirmed he was leaving Brunton Park. He had been offered a new deal at Carlisle but has instead opted to return to Gigg Lane, where he had two previous spells.
- Yeovil Town defender Bevis Mugabi (pictured above) has been called-up by Uganda. Mugabi, who made his international debut in March, has once again been selected by manager Sebastien Desabre after featuring in the friendlies against Sao Tome & Principe and Malawi. The 22-year-old became the first contracted Glovers player to make their international debut in four years and will link up with his international team-mates once again during the summer break.