The night the wall came down

We will all remember certain matches for our entire lives, and we’ll be recounting stories of them around the ground for years to come. Anyone who has experienced this season will talk about how they were there when Sean Raggett’s goal beat Burnley, or when the fog set in as we beat Oldham 3-2.

Fans of an older generation have other matches they remember, and one of the earliest memories I have of Dad talking about Lincoln City, was him discussing the night the wall came down against Stoke. As it’s a Sunday in the post season, news is hard to come by and I need to write to feel useful, I thought I’d talk about that night for a while I am telling you my Dad’s recollections matted together with a bit of my own research though, after al I (obviously) wasn’t born then.

It was the early part of our record-breaking 1975/76 season, and the League Cup initially brought us together with Chesterfield. After losing 3-1 at Newport on the opening day, John Ward settled the fan’s nerves somewhat with all four goals in a 4-2 win at Sincil Bank. A couple of days later we beat Torquay by the same margin in the league, and we hung on to our advantage in the second leg against the Spireites (just), losing 3-2 at Saltergate to give us a 6-5 aggregate score. The big boys enter the race at that stage, and we were paired with Stoke City.

If you think ‘Stoke City’ these days you probably think of mid-table also-rans of the Premier League don’t you? Drawing them would be comparable with drawing, say, Burnley in the FA Cup? You’d be right in 2017, but in 1975 Stoke City were a different prospect altogether. Stoke had won the League Cup in 1972, and been semi-finalists in the FA Cup in 1971 and 1972. They had even qualified for Europe in 1972 and 1974, losing to Kaiserslauten and Ajax, then one of the world’s best teams. They had finished just four points shy of the title in May 1975, this Stoke side were a big draw.

Image result for peter shilton, stoke

They had decent players too. Alan Hudson, picked for England in 1975, was amongst their ranks. They had Jimmy Greenhoff, a tricky and delicate centre forward who had plenty of honours as a member of Don Revie’s  Leeds, and whom later spent four seasons at Manchester United. They also had a goal keeper by the name of Peter Shilton, a player signed for £350,000. That may seem insignificant now, but in 1975 it made him the world’s most expensive number one. The was no doubt this was a big draw for City, 4327 watched the league clash with Reading on the Saturday before, but 13472 were in attendance as the Potters rolled into town.

City lined up as follows: Peter Grotier, Ian Branfoot, Dennis Leigh, Dennis Booth, Sam Ellis, Terry Cooper, John Fleming, John Ward, Percy Freeman, Dave Smith, Alan Harding.

Stoke perhaps took their eye off the ball, they dropped £160,000 striker Geoff Salmons, choosing instead to go with Ian Moores. History would prove that Moores was the better player, he bagged eleven all season whilst Salmons only struck five.

The Imps started the game with the sort of intensity and purpose that would have Danny Cowley purring with delight. Dennis Booth drove a shot at Shilton which he went full length to save. Stoke battled back quickly Ian Moores firing wide when it looked easier to score, and then Alan Hudson having an effort hacked away by Peter Grotier. Fans all around the ground were certainly getting their money’s worth.

The game swung back in Lincoln’s favour, Alan Harding had an effort tipped over the bar, and both John Ward and Percy Freeman were terrorising the top-flight defenders. Alan Bloor and Alan Dodd were at the heart of the Stoke defence, and I imagined they scarcely had to deal with such raw power when facing the likes of Ajax. My Dad tells me he believed an upset was on the cards.

Then, heartbreak for City. John Fleming intercepted a weak ball from Alan Hudson, and he looked to play it back to the safe hands of Peter Grotier. I imagine there was a sharp intake of breath from 13,000 people as instead he rolled it gently into the path of Jimmy Greenhoff. He might not have picked up an England cap, but First Division strikers do not need second invites in those circumstances. Stoke were 1-0 up on 18 minutes. Was it going to be a long night for Lincoln?

No. With a resilience that perhaps wasn’t seen again at Sincil Bank for just over 40 years, City bounced straight back into the game. It was a goal created and scored by Alan Harding, one of the players from that season that perhaps doesn’t get the plaudits that the likes of Freeman, Ward and Smith do. He picked up the ball on the edge of the 18-yard area, rode one tackle, evaded a second and moved into a yard of space. He needed no more than that, his low drive went past the England goal keeper to bring Fourth Division Lincoln City level within a minute.

Alan Harding gives City the lead

Shilton may have been beaten once, but it was him alone that stood between Lincoln and a real upset. Alan Bloor played a shocking pass towards the big keeper, John Ward seized on it and launched a shot towards goal. From nowhere Shilton gave a display of why he was worth £350,000, palming the ball back out, away from danger. It dropped for Dave Smith, and he fired wide of the empty net. Before half time Alan Harding almost put City 2-1 up, a powerful drive had Shilton at full stretch, and nobody in the ground knew how he stopped it going in.

At half time the chatter was that of disbelief. This Lincoln side was good, the fans knew that. Graham Taylor had only brought in one new face in the summer, John Fleming. They’d finished outside of the promotion places on goal difference, and Taylor believed by staying together they could achieve great things. The early season defeat at Newport had been forgotten, as had the second leg defeat at Saltergate. City were on a roll, but here in the warm early evening September air was a real test of how good they might be. 1-1 with a side that pressed for the First Division Championship last season? How good were Lincoln City?

For the first fifteen minutes of the second half, the answer was ‘resilient’ rather than good. They had started with an intensity and pace about their game in the first half, but Stoke brought the game to them for the opening exchanges of the second period. Eire international Terry Conroy was at the heart of everything they did, pulling the strings from an advanced midfield role. Sam Ellis cleared a Conroy effort off the line, whilst Grotier was match for efforts from Greenhoff and Ian Moores.

Stoke poured forward sensing the game was there for the taking, but Lincoln City of 1975/76 were always a danger. As one Stoke attack broke down, City were able to spring a counter. Ian Branfoot set Percy Freeman clear, and the big striker looked set to give Lincoln an unlikely 2-1 lead. Shilton proved his credentials though, diving at the feet of our battering ram of a centre forward and claiming the ball. Respite, but only for a brief moment.

Again Lincoln sprung a counter, this time Dave Smith brought the ball away with a recognisable injection of acceleration. He beat the full-back and fired a shot across the Stoke penalty area. Once again the safe hands of Shilton were there to prevent City taking the lead, and he parried the shot away. This time though, luck was not on his side. The ball landed at the feet of Dennis Booth, and he stooped low to head the ball back towards the net. Shilton could do nothing other than watch Fourth Division Lincoln City take the lead.

Dennis Booth makes it 2-1 to Lincoln

The ground erupted as you’d imagine. Fans surged forward with delight, those from Stoke perhaps with anger. It might have been the Sincil Bank roar that did it, it might have been the pressure of all of those fans clamouring to kick every ball. Whatever force was responsible, the outcome was the same. The wall behind the South Park stand came tumbling down.

You would expect chaos and pandemonium, but the situation was handled extremely well. 18 people needed treatment, two were hospitalised. The St Johns Ambulance crew and Police Officers immediately took control of the scene and moved to minimise disruption to the game. There were 13,000 fans wanting to see the conclusion of a terrific game of football, and within five minutes of the collapse, the game was back on.

The delay played into Lincoln’s favour, and as the game entered the final stages Stoke hadn’t threatened to breach the Imps defence. They threw caution to the wind as the game wore down, and they had the final chance of the game. Jimmy Greenhoff’s shot was well saved by Peter Grotier at the expense of a corner. Terry Cooper headed the resulting cross away from goal, but it fell to the feet of Jackie Marsh who blasted his shot wide. It was the final roll of the dice for the First Division side, shortly afterwards referee Mr Reeves of Leicester blew his whistle to bring down the curtain on a remarkable act of giant killing. It was Leicester City of the First Division who ended the Imps interest in the competition just a month later, but as we know City went on to appear in the FA Cup fourth round, and win the Division Four title.

What of Stoke City? They finished in 12th that season, five places shy of our conquerors Leicester. Sunderland knocked them out of the FA Cup at the fifth round stage, and before the season was out they’d given a debut to Garth Crooks, then a fresh faced youth team player. They suffered a set back in January of 1976 though, the roof blew off their Butler Street Stand, and the following season Jimmy Greenhoff, Alan Hudson and Mike Pejic were sold to help cover the cost of replacing it. That left them with a threadbare squad, and as we finished 9th in the Third Division, they were relegated to the Second.

Our paths came dangerously close to passing, but we’ve met just twice in the following 41 years. They visited in Sincil Bank as a Second Division side (now League One) in 1998 winning 2-1 despite Tony Battersby giving us an 8th minute lead. The return fixture in April 1999 saw them win 2-0.


If you’d like to order my latest book, a Season in Blogs, charting the excellent National League winning season, there are two ways to do it.


It is available through Amazon here and for every sale through this medium I will be donating £1 to the Future Imps fund.

Direct from me

You can also order through me directly and get a signed copy. To do that please email with your address, who you’d like it signing to and your preferred payment method. I can accept PayPal, cheque or bank transfer. I’ll reply within 24 hours with confirmation and to collect payment. They’re £13.99 each, plus £4 postage and packaging.

I currently have 50 unclaimed copies waiting to be ordered from me, and for each of those I sell I will donate £2 to the Future Imps Fund.

If you haven’t got a copy of the Who’s who of Lincoln City 1993-2016, it is still available through Amazon here.





  1. I was at that game at the wall end, nowadays a match would have been stopped but as you said the organisation was superb police and St John’s were superb delays minimum and the supporters weren’t even moved after everything was organised with police patrolling the area where the wall was. I had my imp on a stick my dad made In those days now would be known as an offensive weapon lol, and that was going up and down like mad when Lincoln tòk the lead. What memories.

  2. I was in the VIP area, sitting with my Dad and I do recall this game aged 12. It was a superb City performance akin to what we have seen the Cowley era bring to the Bank.

  3. I was there as a young kid, my dad had made a small wooden step for me to stand on so I could see over the wall (we used to stand on the terrace in front of the old St. Andrews stand). That season I had grown tall enough to almost make the step redundant and I was looking forward to not having to need it for the following season… then the wall came down.
    The following season an extra layer of blocks was added to all of the walls and I needed the step for another year!!

  4. I witnessed events from safety of the Railway End. Great memories of everything connected with that season. If my memory serves me I spotted Peter Shilton in the Aquarius Club later that night.

  5. I was sat in old main stand as a 12 year old. Visibly remember Shilts in all white kit with a kind of polo neck. And the wall collapsing. Great memories & agree that Alan Harding was a very good footballer.

  6. I was stood in the Clanford . (Railway) End….remember the song?. Most of the Stoke fans were in the South Park end and we initially thought they were invading the pitch until we realised the whole wall had collapsed its full length!

  7. Thanks for this very exciting read. A night etched on my 9 year old memory for ever. Thanks Dad for taking me. Percy Freeman really did walk on water. Are you going to do West Ham next?

  8. As young children we used to climb onto the concrete foundations of the floodlight pylons on Sincil Bank to watch matches, clinging on to the metal pylon. That night we were in this usual spot, level with the wall as it fell.

  9. I remember that night well. I said to my brother in law before the match that I would be happy if City put one passed Peter Shilton because as you say Stoke were a good side in those days so to score two and win was more than a lot of us thought possible. Also we lost out to Chester the previous season on goal average not goal difference if goal difference had been used then we would have been promoted and we wouldn’t have had been record breaking champions in 1976 🙂

  10. Next up? Newcastle? Crystal Palace? West Ham? Could be another book in this!
    I was there with several school pals from Gainsborough. Stoke were a class side who played attractive football. Alan Hudson was a sublime footballer and Shilton was already world class.
    Memory tells me Stoke were well supported and I can vouch for the fact that they were angry after the game. The High Street was awash with people being set upon. We tried to walk quickly away from the skirmishes but suudenly a horde of fans came running across the road towards us. We pelted off down a side alley and most were fast enough, but not this lad! Someone clipped my heels and the best I could do was roll into a ball and let them give me a good kicking.
    This is a great piece, Gary and it just brings back so many memories.

  11. For me Its two matches Burnley cup match at sincil bank 59 I think watching Neville bannister speed down the wing, the other in 1970 when I was the only imps supporter at Hartlepool in a season of draws, that day we won 3-0 and was offered a seat on the bus back. And was given a free ticket for the Mansfield match, but, were beaten. Keep the memories coming

Comments are closed.