Looking Back: Mick Bloor

Mick Bloor

Date of birth: 25.3.49 

Born: Wrexham 

Height: 5ft 8in 

Position: Full back 

City appearances: League: 71(2)

                              FA & League Cups: 7

                              Total: 78(2)


Michael Bennett Bloor, usually known as Mick or Micky, began playing football with Shropshire-based Newport FC before joining Stoke City at the age of 18. Four years later, after not managing to make a first team appearance for the Potteries club Bloor was signed on a free transfer for Lincoln City by David Herd along with fellow reserve John Worsdale. Herd had been a senior member of Stoke’s squad during the early part of Bloor’s time there. In the middle of an eighteen-year career with Stoke City at the time was the central defender Alan Bloor, six years older than Mick and born in Stoke itself, but despite their sharing an uncommon surname I’ve been unable to find any indication they were related.

With the popular George Peden still recovering from breaking his leg the previous season the newcomer was straight into City’s side for the first game of the 1971/72 season, with Graham Taylor moving to left back. He justified his place in the side as City, mainly thanks to a good home record found themselves in 5th place in the table by early November.

However, Bloor’s run of games came to end following a disappointing performance on New Year’s Day despite City beating Workington 1-0. The fit-again Peden relegated Bloor to the sub’s bench for the next seven matches as City began to mount a real promotion challenge. With Taylor suffering an injury he was then back in the side for the rest of the season other than the last game, as City missed out on promotion to finish in fifth place. Mick Bloor’s appearances totalled 45 in all competitions including two as substitute.

Hopes were high for another promotion campaign at the start of the 1972/73 season but a home defeat to Hartlepool and a First Round League Cup exit at Mansfield saw George Peden replaced by Mick Bloor as the Imps picked up a first point of the season Darlington. The right back justified his recall with a performance which manager David Herd rated as ‘outstanding’.

Apart from missing a solitary match through illness he kept his place in the side as City recovered from their indifferent start to rise to 3rd. But then a string of poor results, including five successive away defeats led to the replacement of David Herd as manager by the 28-year-old Graham Taylor. Playing as part of a leaky defence also seemed to affect Bloor’s confidence following some fine displays earlier in the season. However, he kept his place under the new manager – indeed there was little alternative with Taylor himself kept of the side due to injury.

Bloor then suffered an injury in a home match with Crewe in January which put him on the sidelines with the half-fit manager having to take his place. By the time Bloor was fit again Taylor had signed Dennis Leigh from Rotherham and the new man was straight into the side with Bloor being placed on the transfer list to some disquiet from supporters.

A lengthy run of poor results then came to end with a narrow win over Darlington and City slowly began to climb the table as Taylor’s tactics and selections began to take effect. With George Peden now injured Bloor was back in the side for the rest of the season, retaining his place with some good displays when Peden was fit again as Leigh was moved into midfield.

Despite finishing the season well and arguably being one of the more consistent players during it, playing in a total of 35 games, Mick Bloor was evidently not part of Taylor’s plans for the future and was released, joining Darlington during the summer.

Bloor made around half a dozen appearances for the Quakers in the early part of the 1973/74 season but then only played once more for them as they struggled to finish outside the bottom four. In 1974 he left to join Whitby Town of the Northern League.

Mick Bloor’s Football League record totalled 80 appearances.

Malcom Johnson