
Matlock Town owner David Hilton has launched a stinging attack on Graham Drury after the manager’s shock resignation, amid growing speculation linking the former Stamford boss with a move to Peterborough Sports.
Drury only arrived at Causeway Lane this summer after leaving Stamford AFC, where he had overseen a dramatic escape from relegation in the Southern Premier Division Central. However, his spell with the Gladiators lasted barely a matter of weeks before he stepped down on Thursday.
Reports on Friday morning suggested Drury could now emerge as a candidate for the vacant role at Peterborough Sports following their relegation from National League North, although the Peterborough Telegraph reported no contact had been made as of Thursday evening.
The sudden exit has clearly angered Matlock owner David Hilton, who issued a lengthy statement outlining the financial and structural impact the resignation has already had on the club.
Statement from Matlock Town owner David Hilton https://t.co/0sCiyTW7m7
WOW…….. 9k 😳
— dominic revill (@domrevill) May 14, 2026
Hilton admitted the appointment had been “mine and mine alone”, explaining that he had long admired Drury’s ability to build successful squads on limited budgets.
“Graham has enjoyed success in both the Southern League and the Northern Premier League, and I have long admired his ability to create togetherness and a strong bond within squads,” Hilton said.
“He has consistently achieved results on modest playing budgets.”
The chairman revealed Drury had actually approached Matlock about the role following the departure of previous boss Adam Clayton and had been heavily involved in discussions regarding the club’s plans for next season.
Hilton also moved to clarify the financial picture at the club, disclosing that last season’s playing budget regularly exceeded £12,000 per week despite what he described as a sustainable level of around £5,500 based on average attendances.
According to Hilton, the budget for the upcoming campaign had been reduced to around £7,000 per week, potentially rising closer to £9,000 with additions, but he insisted Drury had been fully aware of those plans from the outset.
“When Graham’s contract was signed, every detail was thoroughly discussed,” Hilton explained.
“He was fully aware we were planning for the East division, something the projections had always indicated.”
One of the key issues appears to have been logistics, with Drury reportedly struggling to convince players to commit due to the travelling involved. Hilton said a compromise had already been reached, including moving training sessions to Loughborough and reducing them to once per week.
However, behind the scenes, concerns had apparently begun to emerge over recruitment difficulties.
“Earlier this week, I was informed by several players that Graham was struggling to secure commitments,” Hilton said.
“Many players had been released on his instructions from last season, while others had moved to higher-level clubs. A significant number were unable to accommodate the relocation of training further south.”
Hilton did not hide his frustration at how events unfolded, describing the resignation as “a complete shock” and warning the club would now suffer financially because of decisions made during Drury’s short tenure. In a remarkable conclusion to his statement, Hilton even suggested he would be willing to hand the club back to supporters if there was sufficient interest and a credible long-term sustainability plan.
Whether Drury resurfaces at Peterborough Sports now becomes one of the more intriguing stories of the non-league summer. His reputation in the Southern Premier Division Central remains strong after his work with Stamford, and Sports could view his experience in the division as invaluable after relegation.
Should such a move materialise, it would also add immediate edge to meetings between Peterborough Sports and Stamford next season, particularly given the circumstances surrounding Drury’s departure from both clubs in recent months.