Here’s some of the news from our league over the last couple of days.
- Chesterfield have signed striker Gozie Ugwu from Woking. Ugwu was one player whom City fans had discussed as a possible recruit for us this summer, but he’s found a route into the Football League with the Spireites. Ugwu is a burly and powerful centre forward who has also played for Dunfermline and Yeovil, and he’ll certainly bring an interesting dimension to the Chesterfield attack.
- Notts County have made their second capture of the season, keeping the ‘creative’ theme going by drafting in Lewis Alessandra from relegated Hartlepool. Alessandra impressed despite Pools relegation, finding the net nine times and providing nine assists. Kevin Nolan felt his side lacked creativity from midfield last season, so along with Terry Hawkridge, Alessandro is seen as a remedy.
- Former England C international Mickey Demetriou has signed a new two-year deal with Newport. He was one of the key factors in their revival last season, and retaining his services has been seen as quite a coup over in South Wales. Demetriou has previously been at Shrewsbury and Kidderminster, and he originally started out as a striker. He spent time at the Glenn Hoddle academy and it was there he shifted into defence.
- Cambridge have signed Amoo, luckily for them not our old winger Ryan. David Amoo has joined from Partick Thistle after making 71 appearances in two seasons. Amoo is a former Liverpool youngster who made his name at Carlisle. It is unclear whether he has ever been on fire.
- Journeyman striker Jabo Ibehre has also signed for Cambridge after leaving Carlisle. The 34-year old had eight years at Leyton Orient before spells at numerous clubs, most recently the Cumbrians for whom he scored 26 times in two seasons.
- Beaten play-off semi-finalists Luton Town have transfer listed three of their squad, shortly after releasing five. Jonathan Smith, Jake Gray, and Josh McQuiod have all been told they can leave. Thirty-year-old Smith is the longest serving of the three, having turned out 176 for the Hatters.
- Sunday’s play-off final between Blackpool and Exeter might seem a bit one-sided in the stands, but the Blackpool Supporters Trust have confirmed their boycott of matches will continue for the Wembley showpiece. They took 30,000 to Wembley for the 2010 and 2012 Championship play-off finals, but since the slide down the leagues and the friction between owners and fans, they’ve been staying away. BST chairman Steve Rowland told the BBC that it would be the first play-off final he hadn’t been to with Blackpool in over half a century, but that they estimated no more than 5,000 fans would attend. The BST continue to boycott games in protest at how the club is run by owner Owen Oyston and chairman Karl Oyston. Protests took place before their final home game of the season against Leyton Orient, as well as a joint protest in January with Blackburn supporters before their FA Cup tie.
Four days ago Exeter had sold 13,000 of their 20,000 allocation.